Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blueberry Apple Cake

So last night in the midst of my heat exhaustion, I still managed to make a cake! I am having dinner with some girl friends tonight and had not really made anything since the weekend, so I thought why not! Extra blueberries and apples = make something!! So I got this recipe from a friend and she can't recall where she got it from, so this is not something I came up with on my own. I did follow the directions and to be honest, was a little disappointed at how dry the bottom of the cake was, so if I were to make it again, I may only keep it in for about 48 mins vs. 55. It is still quite tasty though!
I think with a scoop of ice cream, it would actually make up for any dryness in the cake and be a hit! I will make it again for sure!

Blueberry, Apple Cake- highly adapted from anonymous!

1.5 cups of All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
6 tbsp. of unsalted butter melted
2 tbsp. of cold butter (this will be used on the top of the cake-so you must cut into pieces when ready)
3/4 cup of light brown sugar along with an extra 2 more tbsp. for the topping
1/2 cup of whole milk ( I only had fat free)
2 large eggs
2 apples, a little under a pound. I had smaller apples so I used 3.- cored, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup of blueberries
1/4 tsp. of cinnamon
whipped cream or ice cream to top (optional, but due to the cake being a little dry, I would serve with some ice cream and maybe heat it up a little as well.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Butter or spray your spring form pan (8 or 9 in cake pan would work as well)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in one bowl
In another bowl, whisk melted butter, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, milk and the eggs.
Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
Arrange apple slices over the batter and then sprinkle the blueberries on top. Gently press the fruit into the batter.
Top with the extra brown sugar, cinnamon and dot the remainder of the butter over the top. (personally if I would make this again, I would mix those ingredients together to make a crumble topping)
Bake until top is golden brown, apples are tender and cake tester comes out clean. But as I mentioned earlier, I think 55 mins was too long, I would check it at about 48 mins.



Enjoy-

No comments:

Post a Comment