Saturday, July 2, 2011

Yes, another Birthday Cake! Vanilla Cake filled with Chocolate Ganache and frosted with Chocolate Butter Cream!!!

Another one of my dear friends is having a birthday this week. Since I won't be around to celebrate on the actual day, and I am seeing her tomorrow, I had to get on it and make a cake asap! Now she is a total chocolate girl and I did not want to just do chocolate butter cream, so I decided to make ganache! OMG, it is really good! I got the recipe for the ganache from one of my favorite TV personalities- The Cake Boss!!!
It is quite easy to make. He gave two ways to make it depending on how you were going to use it. I was only using it as a filling for the cake, so here is how ya do that:

1 cup of heavy cream
9 ounces of semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon of light corn syrup
Put the heavy cream in a saucepan and set over a medium high heat. As soon as it begins to simmer, remove the pot from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir with a wooden spoon to melt. Stir in the corn syrup.
Transfer to a bowl and to use as filling, refrigerate it for about an hour or so. When ready, transfer to a pastry bag and pipe it out.

Now for the Chocolate Butter Cream, I went with a recipe from Food.com- the only thing I did differently, was add in a little whipping cream to make it fluffy!

Directions:

Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
  1. 1 Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamy.
  2. 2 Add sugar and cocoa, mixing well.
  3. 3 Stir in milk in portions, stirring each time.
  4. 4 Add vanilla.
  5. 5 Spread on cooled cake or other items needing frosting.
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-buttercream-frosting-44126#ixzz1QtbbdhWw

I ended up using two square tins vs. round for this cake as I have never done it before and wanted to try it out. I did have to cut around the edges some, but overall it came out pretty nice. Once the cake was frosted, I reheated the left over ganache and with a spoon just splashed it across the cake. I topped it with some colored sprinkles, as it is a birthday cake! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment