Sunday, January 15, 2012

Strawberry Bundt Cake

Ok, so I guess I really got too many berries this week, as I still had one more pint of strawberries and was kind of in the mood to bake again, so why not make something else right! I went on to Foodgawker.com and typed in strawberry cake and you would not believe how many pics pulled up. Most of them had very similar recipes and they all looked really good, but unfortunately they called for buttermilk and I did not have that in the fridge. So I finally found one that did not!!
I pretty much followed the recipe as directed, except...I added in about 1/2 a cup of lite sour cream and I used a bundt pan. I have to say this turned out so moist and delicious. Oh and it also noted to only put strawberries on the the top of the batter, but since I did it in a bundt pan, I layered some at the bottom and then mixed them through out as well.

The recipe also called for the oven temp to be at 350 for 10 mins, then drop to 325 for about an hour. I did drop the temp after ten mins, but it only took about 45 mins in my oven, so I would just keep an eye on it. It was slightly browned on the top and the toothpick came out clean at 45 mins, so I just took it out! It was perfect!! I can't say it enough..so moist and delish! ;)

Strawberry Cake- Highly adapted from "The Kitchen Sink" Blog and Martha Stewart
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
2 tablespoons raw or sanding sugar ( I did not do this as I used a bundt pan)
** I added in about 1/2 a cup of lite sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate or bundt pan. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.
Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible or mix through out if using a bundt pan. Sprinkle raw/sanding sugar over berries.
Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Cut into wedges. Cake can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, up to 2 days.

I would make this again for sure, it would be a great compliment to a yummy brunch for sure...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment