I am starting to think I buy extra berries on purpose these days, as way too many of my blogs are cakes, pies etc with so called "extra berries" in them! So again, I had some extra blackberries. But honestly, I did not plan to bake anything with them, I just did not feel they were sweet enough for my liking to eat alone! I did look up some recipes but then I remembered about a year ago I made a blueberry coffee cake that I had found on another blog that was adapted from Cooking Light! I knew it was really good, so I thought why not try it out with blackberries!
I must say it was just as good as I remembered that is for sure!
Recipe is highly adapted from Cooking Light ( I made a few changes myself as well) and originally found on Abby Cat Chat
Please note- I did not have cream cheese, so I used a low fat Greek yogurt and I also added slivered almonds to the top for an added crunch!
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ (8 oz) package low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salts
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups fresh blackberries
- cooking spray
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together with electric mixer at a medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add sugar, then add egg and beat well.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture on low speed. Stir in vanilla and fold in berries. Pour batter into pan. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, cool completely on wire rack.