Friday, January 27, 2012

Blackberry Coffee Cake

I am starting to think I buy extra berries on purpose these days, as way too many of my blogs are cakes, pies etc with so called "extra berries" in them! So again, I had some extra blackberries. But honestly, I did not plan to bake anything with them, I just did not feel they were sweet enough for my liking to eat alone! I did look up some recipes but then I remembered about a year ago I made a blueberry coffee cake that I had found on another blog that was adapted from Cooking Light! I knew it was really good, so I thought why not try it out with blackberries!
I must say it was just as good as I remembered that is for sure!

Recipe is highly adapted from Cooking Light ( I made a few changes myself as well) and originally found on Abby Cat Chat

Please note- I did not have cream cheese, so I used a low fat Greek yogurt and I also added slivered almonds to the top for an added crunch!

Ingredients:
  • ¼ cup butter, softened
  • ½ (8 oz) package low-fat cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1¼ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salts
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2¼ cups fresh blackberries
  • cooking spray
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
DIRECTIONS


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. 
  2. Beat butter and cream cheese together with electric mixer at a medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.  Slowly add sugar, then add egg and beat well. 
  3. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture on low speed. Stir in vanilla and fold in berries.  Pour batter into pan.  Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. 
  4. Bake for 55-60 minutes, cool completely on wire rack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment