Sunday, January 22, 2012

Key Lime Pie for Tina's Birthday!

The next few weeks is filled with friends birthdays! First up, Tina! It has been a while since I have done birthday cakes, so I was super excited to see what she would like! Like me, she is a big key lime pie fan, so I was all over it!. Her birthday is this coming Wednesday, but I wanted to get it to her before then as her man is in town and they have romantic dinner plans;)
Now I have made key lime pie once before for a supper club and it turned out great, but unfortunately I could not find that recipe so I searched around and combined a few that I thought looked good. I knew right off the bat I wanted to do a gingersnap crust, and most recipes for the filling were very similar, but I ended up using the one with only two egg yolks, versus 3-5 I saw on others.
Key Lime Pie Recipe- adapted mainly from Nellie and Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice
For the filling:
  1. 2 egg yolks
  2. 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
  3. The zest of one lime
  4. 1/2 cup of Nellie and Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice or fresh lime.
For the Crust:
  1. A little over a cup and a half of crushed gingersnaps
  2. 2 tablespoons of sugar
  3. 6 tablespoons of melted butter.
I used a spring form pan and cooked the crust about 8 mins at 350 degrees.
Once cooled I added in the well mixed filling and put back in the oven for a little under 20 mins. Let cool about 10 mins and then stick in the fridge for at least an hour to cool!


Quick, easy and super delish!!! Happy Birthday Tina:) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment