Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pecan Encrusted Tilapia with a Homeade Remoulade Sauce

Last Sunday night I went to my aunt and uncles to make dinner. Being that I was so excited to make something out of my new Best of the Best Cookbook, I flipped through the pages early that day to see what looked yummy! My aunt was making a Tomato Pie, which by the way, I am still waiting on the recipe, as it was KILLER!!! But I wanted to find something that would compliment the pie and came across Paula Deen's Pecan Crusted Fish and Remoulade recipes. I thought that would be perfect, and as usual I was right;)
Now I will say this about the fish, she called for either grouper, snapper or tilapia; personally I would have picked grouper, but the Harris Teeter was out of it:( I will say that you could make this recipe a LOT less fattening as well. She soaks her fish in butter before laying in the pecans, I used 1/2 of what she required. I also think the pecan amount should have been doubled. What she listed coated about 3 decent size pieces. When frying (as I did not put into the oven as she calls for after frying) a TON of the pecans came off the fish, which I guess would be expected. I think grouper would be better as it is thicker and then it would make more sense to put it in the oven as well. However, I would totally make this again.
Now for the Remoulade Sauce, it made the dish complete, the combo of the two was so good! I will make that recipe for lots of other meals, I can tell ya that much! Again, I made it a little lower fat by using light mayo. Also, I did NOT use the capers, as I did not have any and I think it turned out fantastic with out.
By far though, that tomato pie was insane!!! I asked all week for the recipe, but still nothing:( As soon as I get it though I will be sure to post as it is something everyone should try if they like tomatoes. DELISH! Enjoy-

Ingredients: Courtesy of Paula Deen

Remoulade Sauce:

  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
  • 1/4 cup capers, with juice1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 4 grouper or snapper fillets, cut about 1-inch thick, 4 to 6 ounces each
  • 1 stick butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon whole butter
  • 1 cup pecans, ground into crumbs in a food processor
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Salt and pepper
  • 4 lemon wedges, for garnish

Directions

To prepare sauce, place the parsley, green onions, capers, and garlic in a blender or food processor and combine. Add the mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice and mustard. Blend well. Chill until ready to serve with seafood. This keeps in a covered container in the refrigerator for several weeks.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Rinse the fish, pat dry and season. Dredge the fish in the melted butter. Spread the ground pecans on a plate and press the fish into the crumbs to coat. Turn the fillets and coat the other side.  In a cast iron or other heavy, ovenproof skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of whole butter with the oil. When it begins to sizzle, sear the fish about 3 minutes per side. Place the skillet in the oven for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets and your preference for degree of doneness. Serve immediately with Remoulade Sauce on the side and a lemon wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment