Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Blueberry Goat Cheese Tart

Back in July I had a little birthday party for my brother Chris. Several family members and friends came over for a cook out and everyone brought something to share. The best, well one of the best part's about having a party at your house is all the left overs..hee hee! One thing I noticed that was left was a sheet of puff pastry. I know kind of random, but I love puff pastry, however I always use it for the same brie recipe. A few days went by and I knew I had to use the pastry soon. I looked around in the fridge and the two things that stood out were blueberries and goat cheese. I thought to myself, those ingredients all together had to be good together, especially drizzled in a local cinnamon honey!
I called my mom to see what she thought. She is the one person I can call and list off things in my kitchen and she has a gourmet meal in mindin minutes. I so wish I was like that. I tell her all the time she should go on a reality top chef type show or that show that Rocco DiSpirito did, but she would never...such a shame as I would totally enjoy spending her winnings! ha Anyway, she agreed and thought I should definitely try this idea out. I looked up a few recipes that sounded similar, but some were a little too complicated or incorporated way too many ingredients. Hey, whats the worst that could happen right...so I tried it!
Basically I just followed the directions for cooking the puff pastry. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for about 15 min or until golden brown. I decided to use a pizza pan with holes to lay the pastry on as I know when cooking it in my brie recipe the bottom always seems gooey and I knew that would not be good for this. I spread the pastry out in the best circle I could and folded up the edges a little. In a small bowl I melted a small container of crumbled goat cheese. I then spread that in the middle of the pastry and then sprinkled the blueberries op top. I drizzled that with the cinnamon honey, dusted the edges with egg yolk and into the oven it went.
If I remember correctly I had to keep it in a little longer than 15 mins, but no more than 20. Once it cooled I used a pizza slicer and cut it into appetizer size pieces! I have to say, it was really yummy, great flavor combo and I would make it again for sure. It was even good cold out of the fridge...I had to give the rest of it away as I could not stop eating it...oops!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment