Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Banana Split Ice Cream Cake


Yesterday was my boyfriend's birthday! He is a big ice cream fan, especially loves a banana split. So when I started thinking about what to make for his birthday cake, I immediately thought of a banana split ice cream cake! I took a look around at a few sites to see if anyone had made one, there were a few out there, but I already had an idea of how I would make this one. I have to say, it is time consuming but very easy to make! He LOVED it and I loved making it. I would make it again in a heart beat! You can't go wrong as there is a little something in there that everyone has to love;)
Banana Split Ice Cream Cake:
I used a spring form pan for this cake.
For the crust, I ended up using chocolate Teddy Grahams as I could not find chocolate graham crackers at the store that day. You will need about 1.5-2 cups of crushed graham cracker/cookies depending on the size of your pan. Add in about 1/3 cup of sugar and 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix all together, pat into the bottom of the pan ( I sprayed the bottom and sides of the pan with Pillsbury baking spray, but many people say to use parchment paper. We had no issues getting the cake out doing it this way) Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for about 7-9 mins. Let cool.
For the ice cream layers, I ended up getting two- one gallon containers of Harris Teeter Neapolitan ice cream as they have the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate all in one and it was buy one get one free!! It was the perfect amount as well which was great! I even had a little of all three flavors left over.
For the first layer I took out all of the strawberry ice cream and got it as soft as I could with out it being too melted, I spread over the cooled crust and put it back in the freezer for about 30-45 mins to harden back up. I then topped it with strawberry ice cream topping- I can't recall who made it, but it is where all the ice cream toppings and cones are in the store. I put that back into the freezer for another 15- 20 mins. I did this same process for the vanilla and chocolate layer. I used pineapple topping on top of the vanilla and then once the chocolate was added, I just covered and put back in the freezer. I did not add the fudge until the pieces were cut. Once sliced, I added the hot fudge, sliced banana's, whipped cream and a cherry on top!
You can really use whatever flavors and toppings in between layers that you would like, but these are the typical banana split toppings and what he wanted as well!
Overall, it was a big hit! Super yummy, total crowd pleaser!
Enjoy!!! I know we did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment